Dog welfare

Dogs love Chocolate, Chocolate does not like dogs….Beware!!

Dogs love chocolate, basically if its edible dogs love everything.  Well mine does anyway.  Sadly dogs don’t know that chocolate can have some very serious health implications which, in some cases, can lead to death. As we approach Christmas there will be far greater opportunities for your dog to get to the selection boxes or the half eaten bar of chocolate which has been left on the floor.

Chocolate toxicity in dogs is caused by a chemical called methylanthine theobromine which is found in cocoa bean products.  We humans can deal with this chemical quickly so it does not build up in our system.  Whereas dogs metabolize it a lot slower so it can quickly reach toxic levels.

This toxicity can cause vomiting, tachycardia, agitation and seizures and in rare cases, if left untreated, death. Just because your dog has eaten some chocolate in the past and not had any symptoms does not mean it is safe to give dogs chocolate.

The advice is if your dog has eaten chocolate and shows any signs which are not normal for your dog then you should seek the advice of your vet immediately.  Better still, avoid the expense of seeing a vet over Christmas by making sure chocolate is kept out of reach.  What dog could resist if they see us eating it?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

13 − one =